Jeffrey Briem is a senior attorney in the firm’s litigation group. Mr. Briem’s experience includes torts, construction, products liability, consumer class actions, insurance coverage litigation, commercial litigation, and professional liability, with a particular focus on insurance broker liability. Mr. Briem also represents insurance companies in coverage litigation.
Mr. Briem is an adjunct associate professor of trial advocacy at Fordham University School of Law. Previously, Mr. Briem was an associate at Traub Lieberman Straus & Shrewsberry, LLP. Recent significant cases include the following:
- A defense verdict at trial, affirmed on appeal, dismissing all claims against an owner and general contractor arising out of an accident on the exterior of a construction site.
- Summary judgment dismissing all claims against an insurance broker, finding no continuing duty to advise on behalf of the broker and the absence of reasonable reliance on the part of the client.
- Summary judgment, affirmed on appeal, dismissing NYS Labor Law and negligence claims against the structural general contractor of a multi-stage project, demonstrating that the accident arose out of the campus portion of the work, over which the contractor had no control.
- Successful defense of a general liability carrier in a declaratory judgment action brought by an auto carrier, holding that an accident involving a wheelchair patient occurred during loading operations within the meaning of the auto policy.
- Iona College, B.A., magna cum laude, 2002
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Courts of the State Of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
Professional Associations and Activities
- Brendan Moore Trial Advocacy Center Alumni Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Volunteer for the Brendan Moore Trial Advocacy Center
- Speaker at Children’s Legal Center